ZOOMA Summer Challenge 2017
Ready for the second annual ZOOMA Summer Challenge? We’re bringing the Summer Challenge back to help you expand your workout horizons and experiment with new foods and activities to get you strong for fall race training! And this summer we’re putting a little extra focus on your core by adding a 28-day Ab Challenge!
- 5-week Workout Plan including a 28-day Ab Challenge
- 5-week Healthy Food Challenge with recipes and tips from Jennifer Desrosiers, Founder and CEO of Laney & Lu Cafe and Wild Adventurous Life
- Access to a private Facebook Motivation Group
- Motivated Mondays featuring weekly videos and emails that will explain each week’s plan and get you motivated
- Summer Challenge Playlist presented by Aftershokz, The Official Headphones of Zooma Women’s Race Series
- Super cute swag including the perfect summer tank from Greenlayer Sports and beverage coozy mailed to your door!
- Custom ‘Shine On’ bracelet with sun charm (Alex & Ani style) from Milestones Sports Jewelry to commemorate your summer fitness success and remind you to “shine on” throughout the year!
- Complete the 28-day ab challenge and you’ll will be eligible to win a sweet ZOOMA Prize Pack! (Prize pack includes a ZOOMA race registration, Aftershokz Trekz Titanium Headphones, ZOOMA tank from Raw Threads Athletics, ZOOMA Bondi Band and a Train Like a Mother Club training plan!)
- Challenge begins Mon, July 17
- Registration closes Sun, July 23
- Challenge ends Mon, August 21
- Cost is $49 per person
Food – Each week you’ll cook (and eat) a meal or snack using the weekly ingredient. We’ll provide you with a downloadable food guide for the week from Jennifer Desrosiers, Founder & CEO of Laney & Lu Cafe (they cook up amazingly healthy and tasty food on a daily basis!) plus weekly videos on how to prepare the recipes and other fun tips and tricks. If the ingredient is a new one for you, just try anything! If its one that you already use, you can try a new recipe or learn a new prep tip.
Workout – Each week, do two non-running workouts. You can select which you do, but you should not have the same combo of workouts on any of the 5 weeks. This will require some advance planning (see STEP ONE – Do your homework!)
Ab Challenge – Each week will include 5 days of an ab workout. The workout builds over time and will help you strengthen your core muscles. Group support is key for this so we encourage you to log your ab workout with the Facebook support group once its done.
Running – You’ll notice that running almost feels like an afterthought in this challenge. With erratic schedules and difficult weather situations during summer, it’s a great time to give our legs a break and focus on building whole-body fitness. Once the temperatures start to break and schedules settle down in the fall, then we can buckle down with a race-specific training goal.
STEP ONE: DO YOUR HOMEWORK
Download your Summer Challenge Weekly Plan and Weekly Recipes and then plan out your 5-week program. The better prepared you are now, the more likely you’ll make it through with success!
Scope out your workout locales!* Find the following facilities and note convenient class times or open hours:
- Pool for swimming laps
- Yoga and/or Barre studio that allows one-class purchases
- Spinning studio that allows one-class purchases
- Running track you can use
- Something else you’ve always wanted to try: Boot Camp, Soul Cycle, SurfSet, Body Pump, PiYo, Orange Theory, Kick-Boxing, Pound, HipHop Dance, etc.
*If you’re not able to locate some of the types of studios (or would prefer to do these workouts at home), you can find a class on YouTube or a workout DVD.
Get geared up! You’ll need:
- Swim suit that works for swimming laps
- Goggles are super helpful
- Yoga mat
- Barre socks
- Capris for spinning class
- Water bottle and towel
STEP TWO: SET EXPECTATIONS
Set expectations for any vacation you have scheduled… if you have vacation days inside the 5 week program, set a goal for yourself and try to stick to it.
Will you keep up with your entire program while you’re away or just the ab challenge? Will you give yourself a week off and add a week to the end of the program? Make it work for you, but don’t just wing it.
STEP THREE: GET MOVING!
- Check your registration confirmation email for more details
- Join the Facebook group (check your confirmation email for the Facebook group link)
- Download the Weekly Plan for 2017 ZOOMA Summer Fitness Challenge
Now you’re ready to start your ZOOMA Summer Challenge!